Archive your data sets before the window closes this summer.
Your campaign performance metrics are full of valuable insight, and what you choose to analyze is key to understanding the success of your email campaigns. Here are a few things you should be considering on a regular basis:
- Are you making the most of your email campaigns? If the answer is yes, is that based on intuition or grounded in metrics?
- Are you monitoring the metrics for each campaign individually as you execute them, or are you confident in your ability to judge outcomes?
- Are you analyzing all your customer segments? Are you paying attention to which ones are most responsive/ most likely to unsubscribe?
- Beyond opens and clicks, are those emails actually driving some pipeline?
Marketo offers some decent canned reports to help you answer some of those questions, namely Email Insights, Email Performance or Engagement Stream Performance. But Marketo actually offers a lesser-known, more valuable resource with a much larger potential for analysis: activity tables.
Check out the image below. Activity tables that include type 6 to 11 record all the email-related raw signals generated by your email campaigns. This data is ready to be shifted to a data warehouse via your API.
Once in the data warehouse, this information turns into analytics gold. The activity tables can be combined with other details about your recipients and email content, and you’re able to answer much more valuable questions:
- Can I identify patterns of open or click-bots that skew and/or nullify my standard performance indicators?
- How has my open rate for nurture campaigns in that region evolved over the last two years?
- How does my click rate for programs with this type of subject line perform over another type?
- What is the difference in open rate between customers and prospects for this type of campaign?
The importance of these activity tables cannot be overstated. This insight can help you effectively control and evaluate your email campaigns, leading to a much better understanding of campaign performance.
Unfortunately, Marketo has announced, a bit surreptitiously, that these capabilities are about to be restricted.
Beginning August 31, 2020, Marketo’s retention policy for the critical Activity Type 6 “Send Email” table will be reduced from two years to a rolling 90 days. That means that your data history is about to be wiped out, and you must archive it quickly to avoid losing valuable analytics information.
We understand that you may not be ready to analyze the data yet. Even so, we’d encourage you to archive it now before it disappears at the end of the summer. And of course, if you’re not already extracting those tables, this is a great time to start.
If you’re not sure how to begin, Revenue Pulse can help. We can help you extract, refine, and valorize your data sets and make sure you’re not losing valuable insight once Marketo’s changes take effect.
Reach out here, and we’ll make sure you’re getting the best insight into campaign performance.